The combination of vegetables being grated and cut, long strips of pepper and short strips of celery make for a nicely textured dish. Serve this as a side salad (especially nice with tacos!), or as part of a ploughman’s lunch, with cured meat, cheese, bread and pickles or olives.
- 2 heads kohlrabi, stems & bottom trimmed off, peeled & sliced as directed below.
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut vertically into long ¼ inch slices
- 1 stalk celery, sliced crosswise into ¼ inch crescents
- 3 tbsp oil (olive, vegetable or canola)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white, wine or cider)
- 2 tsp sweet mustard, or with whole seeds
- pinch of each salt & pepper
- a small handful (¼ – ½ cup) parsley, chopped
Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in large bowl.
Cut the kohlrabi into ¼ inch rounds, then slice each round into very thin slices, creating long matchsticks.
Add all vegetables to the bowl with the dressing and mix well. Let the salad sit for one hour before serving.