A Simple Asparagus & Potato Salad
This easy salad can be enjoyed warm or cold. Because the eggs add protein it makes a filling lunch on its own.
- 4 medium potatoes (Yukon Gold, or white), scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed, and stalks cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp oil (olive, vegetable or canola)
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white, wine or cider)
- 1 tsp mustard with seeds (optional)
- herbs, chives or spring onion, chopped (optional)
Place 3 eggs in a small pot, cover with water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover, turn off heat and let sit (to cook) for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, place the pot in the sink and run cold water into the pot to cool the eggs (let the water over flow the pot for a few seconds).
While the eggs are cooking put the potatoes in a large pot, and add water so the potatoes are ¾ covered. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low and cook, covered, 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, add the trimmed asparagus, bring back to a boil and cook another 5-8 minutes. The potatoes should be soft, the asparagus bright green with a little crunch.
Meanwhile peel the eggs and cut into quarters.
Mix the oil, vinegar, and mustard (optional) in a large bowl.
Drain the potatoes and asparagus and add to the bowl with the mixed dressing while the vegetables are still warm. Add the eggs and herbs/onion, if using, and mix gently. Enjoy warm, or chill in the fridge to eat cold.