Black Bean Chili
Lots of flavour and plenty of beans means no one will miss the meat in this dish!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (1 red, 1 green)
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tins (796ml) tomatoes, roughly chopped, + juices
- 2 tins (540ml) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- ½ – 1 tsp. cayenne
- Salt, pepper
Heat oil in a large pot. Add first 3 vegetables and cook 5 minutes. Add next 3 vegetables and cook another 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except salt & pepper, plus 1 tomato tin-full of water and mix well. Increase heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 1-1 ½ hours until chili reaches desired thickness. Taste, and add salt & pepper (depending on beans and tomatoes used, chili may not need much additional salt).
Serve with crusty bread on the side. Include sour cream, grated cheddar, and lime wedges for each person to top their dish.