Krys is an Ontario farmer; in 2013 he was running and producing his own CSA.
(CSA is Community Shared – or Supported – Agriculture. People pay upfront for a membership and throughout the spring/summer/fall they receive regular produce boxes stocked with a selection of fresh veggies/fruits/herbs that has been harvested that week. Some can include meat, eggs, or dairy.)
These are some recipes that were included in Krys’ boxes – as suggestions for those who received the supply of veggies & herbs each week.
If you’re looking for more info please contact me.
Curried Potatoes and Tatsoi
This dish is easy to prepare and sure to please. Add a tin of rinsed and drained chickpeas during the last 5 minutes of cooking to make it more filling dish, then serve with rice and plain yogurt. Or serve as a side dish.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed or peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 large handfuls of tatsoi, well rinsed and chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ – ½ tsp cayenne – optional
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low. Add the onion and garlic and cook until garlic begins to soften. Add potatoes and spices; stir to combine. Add the tomato and ½ cup of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add tatsoi, cover and cook another 5 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
The combination of vegetables being grated and cut, long strips of pepper and short strips of celery make for a nicely textured dish. Serve this as a side salad (especially nice with tacos!), or as part of a ploughman’s lunch, with cured meat, cheese, bread and pickles or olives.
- 2 heads kohlrabi, stems & bottom trimmed off, peeled & sliced as directed below.
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut vertically into long ¼ inch slices
- 1 stalk celery, sliced crosswise into ¼ inch crescents
- 3 tbsp oil (olive, vegetable or canola)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white, wine or cider)
- 2 tsp sweet mustard, or with whole seeds
- pinch of each salt & pepper
- a small handful (¼ – ½ cup) parsley, chopped
Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in large bowl.
Cut the kohlrabi into ¼ inch rounds, then slice each round into very thin slices, creating long matchsticks.
Add all vegetables to the bowl with the dressing and mix well. Let the salad sit for one hour before serving.